The Pros And Cons Of Composite Decking

Are you a homeowner who is hoping to get more use out of your back garden this year? Do you want to improve how your garden looks and functions? Are you aiming to create that perfect garden oasis that so many others seemed to have? If you’ve answered yes to these questions, then you may be looking at building a deck. But before you go ahead and choose the typical wooden style deck, you may want to look into the pros and cons of composite decking.

Composite decking can prove to be a much better option depending on your specific wants and needs. In fact, it can even give a cleaner, more modern look than what traditional wood is capable of. Let’s examine all the top pros and cons of composite decking so that you can make an informed choice.

Pro - Composite Decking Is Weather Resistant

When it comes to the number one pro that composite decking offers, it is easily the fact that it is weather resistant. This makes it great for back gardens that have a pool or hot tub as you don’t want to be dealing with wood rot over time. And with all that rain we get here in the UK, it won’t matter as it won’t damage the decking.

Pro - Composite Decking Is Very Low Maintenance

If you’re the type that doesn’t want to put in the maintenance that traditional wood decking requires, then composite decking will be a perfect option. It is suggested that you clean it on a regular basis, especially if debris builds up. This means sweeping it with a basic soft-bristle broom and rinsing it off with the garden hose. Spills and stains can typically be cleaned with mild soap and water and a soft brush.

Pro - Composite Decking Won't Stain

Homeowners with kids and pets will appreciate the fact that composite decking won’t stain, which is perfect for all those spills. Also, the sun won’t change its colour over time, as it will stay true.

Pro - Composite Decking Allows For Choice And Variety

Not everyone wants the same basic colours and size of boards, which is where composite decking has the upper hand once again. You can find composite decking in a wide array of colours, sizes, and styles allowing you to customise the look of your deck.

Pro - Composite Decking Doesn't Splinter

If you like to be able to enjoy your decking barefoot, the fact that composite decking doesn’t splinter will be a huge pro. You don’t have to worry about the plans chipping, splintering, or rotting.

Pro – Composite Decking Is An Eco-Friendly Choice

Those who want to make more eco-friendly choices in the home will appreciate the fact that composite decking is environmentally-friendly. What do they make composite decking out of? How is it eco-friendly? Ecoscape UK is a company that sells composite decking that is made from plastic and hardwood fibres. Of those hardwood fibres, 55% come from reclaimed materials while the other 45% is sourced from recycled polyethene. This makes it a very eco-conscious choice for homeowners.

Cons - Composite Decking Can Be Slippery Depending on Type

While composite decking is indeed water-resistant, it can sometimes be slippery when wet. This will depend largely on the type of decking planks/boards you choose.

Cons - Not All Composite Decking Is Made Equal

Then there is the fact that not all composite decking is made equal. There will still be differences in quality and durability so you want to be sure to do your research and choose wisely.

Cons - Composite Decking Will Eventually Need To Be Replaced

Although composite decking has a much longer lifespan than traditional wooden decking, that doesn’t mean it will never need replacement. In general, most experts will tell you that composite decking has a lifespan of about 20 years.

In comparison, a typical wood deck lasts 15 years, but that is provided you do all the necessary repairs and maintenance, which is much more involved, time-consuming, and labour-intensive than simply sweeping and spraying down your composite deck.

Cons – Some Don’t Like The Look Of The Composite Decking

Finally, there is the fact that even though there are many colours and styles to choose from, some still prefer the look of real wood. It comes down to a personal preference issue. Keep in mind that before you write off composite decking due to its looks, it could just be that you haven’t seen enough options and that maybe you need to look at little deeper.

If you like the idea of adding decking to the exterior of your home and assumed wood was the only option, it’s time to look at composite decking more closely. This is a highly durable, stylish, and modern option that can prove to be the best decision for your needs and expectations.

*Collaborative post

No comments