What To Do About Hearing Problems

Hearing problems are common especially so in children and the elderly. As you get older they can also become worse.  However, don't worry as there are some things you can do about hearing problems, Let's have a look at these solutions. 

Firstly, it's important to see your GP. If you or your child have a sudden hearing loss or are in pain with it call your GP straight away. If you have a fever, feel dizzy or have something stuck in your ear see your GP straight away too. If you have had gradual hearing loss make sure you make an appointment to see the GP when you can. Your Dr is the best person to diagnose what the problem is by looking inside your ears with an otoscope. He will prescribe treatment or further hearing tests. When in doubt always be on the safe side and ring NHS 111 for advice.


The diagnosis could include the following.

An ear infection
A problem with earwax
A condition of the inner ear called Meniere's disease
A perforated eardrum
Exposure to a very loud noise
A side effect of medication
A problem with the inside of the ear such as fluid (glue ear)


Treatment of hearing loss could include the following.

Often a virus will cause ear infections and in that case, antibiotics won't help. The doctor may suggest painkillers, or over the counter remedies, and it should get better on its own accord. In severe cases, antibiotic ear drops or tablets will be prescribed as well as suitable painkillers. These may take a while to work and it's important to finish the course of treatment. If you have finished the course of antibiotics and there is no improvement be sure to go back to your doctor. 

Extensive or problematic ear wax could be another problem. As you get older ear wax hardens too so it can be more difficult to fall out. A pharmacist can give you advice on this and suggest treatments but olive or almond oil is one that is recommended by the NHS. Ear wax removal can be done in private clinics such as Auris Ear Care or
newcastleearwaxremoval.com. This is helpful if it becomes a recurrent problem, and not all GP practices remove ear wax either. With a private clinic, you can be seen quickly and Auris Ear Care also has a 24-hour mobile clinic so you can get an appointment on whatever shift you work.

If you have Meniere's disease the doctor will prescribe medication to help with the problem and stop the feeling of nausea. If you have an attack, current advice by the NHS is to take your medication prescribed for it, sit or lie down and don't make sudden movements. 

A perforated eardrum is a hole in the eardrum. This may get better of its own accord but you should always see your doctor for diagnosis and treatment. Antibiotics may be prescribed if it causes an infection, and painkillers too. If it doesn't get better this is a chance you may need further treatment and referral to a specialist ENT surgeon, with the chance that surgery may be needed.

Glue ear may clear up of its own accord. If there are more severe problems antibiotics may be prescribed. If it doesn't clear up then a referral to a specialist is required. Grommets may be inserted by the ENT surgeon to help drain fluid away and they fall out naturally after a few months. 

If your hearing loss is a side effect of medication your doctor will assess whether they will change it. If it's because of a loud noise it may get better of its own accord or it may not. Your doctor is the best person to see for advice on this and may ask you to monitor this.

If the doctor thinks you have hearing loss he will likely suggest a hearing test. These can be done on the NHS or there are private clinics that can do them quicker. You can get hearing aids on the NHS but private ones are normally smaller and can be more advanced.

*AD this post is for information only always check with your GP or ring NHS 111 for medical advice

1 comment

  1. I've had problems with my hearing as I get older. I really need to go to the GP to check my hearing