Working Within Particular Property Building Limits? Consider Your Options Here

There’s a sense of joy and excitement that comes when you’re able to move into a better, bigger property, or perhaps expand your current adobe into the home you always wanted.

However, in some cases, it doesn’t matter how much money you have or how good your plans are, you may be restricted by the local housing authority.


There are all sorts of reasons for this. It could be that your area is considered a “zone of outstanding beauty” or another classification your country uses to protect beautiful areas. You live in a gorgeous remote area, but that means extra constructions aren’t looked upon fondly.

While this can certainly prevent the uncomfortable and frustrating update that a brand new housing unit is being placed in the rolling fields your house looks upon, it may also prevent you from enacting your own plans. You don’t have to be a rabid NIMBY to see the inconvenience of that.

So - without breaching your legal confines, is it possible to extend, renovate or expand while working within particular building limits? In this post, I’ll discuss that and more.

Consult With Local Experts & Define Limitations

It’s always essential to consult with your local experts and define the limitations properly. Local architects and building planners will be more familiar with the legislation currently holding you back, and that can help you avoid applying, reapplying, and trying to push through incremental designs that are ultimately rejected by a housing authority with limited patience.

That’s not to say you can’t push the limitations in very minor ways, however; an expert, such as the aforementioned architect, should be able to help you with that. Often the use of construction estimation software can help them guide you to the costs of the upgrades to your home.  We’re not encouraging you to breach the legal code here, rather your planner will operate like an accountant suggesting tax advice to limit your HMRC bill each year. You’d be surprised how much wriggle room you have.

Consider Exterior Constructions

Not all constructions will require stamped and approved permission from the local housing authority. For instance, you won’t need to ask them for a staging area including a raised deck that overlooks the rest of the garden (although it’s always best to check).

If you didn’t get approved for a conservatory, you might add a larger porch with an overhang for shelter. Just because your housing authority may be strict, it doesn’t mean you’re totally restricted from investing in your home, and understanding that is important when moving forward.

Minor & Vertical Expansions

It may be that despite the limits you’re working under, the housing authority is willing to work with you on other plans you have. For example, they might not approve a full-scale two-storey expansion of your house, but they may be happy for you to install a conservatory as an off-shoot of your kitchen or dining room. With materials from Clear Amber Shop you can integrate this effectively and keep the construction in line with your home aesthetic. In some cases, you may be able to build upwards too, such as by renovating your attic into a proper room to effectively add another floor to the property.

With this advice, you’re sure to work within somewhat uncooperative building limits to better your property.

*Collaborative post

No comments