|This image shows a whole and a cut lemon. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)|
Here is my recipe for Crispy Lemon Cake
4oz (100gms) soft margarine ( I use Flora buttery)
6oz (150 gms) caster sugar
2 medium eggs lighten beaten
6oz (150 gms) self raising flour
zest of 1 lemon, finely grated
1 level tsp of baking powder (but you can leave this out)
2 tablespoons of milk
4 oz of granulated or caster sugar
Juice from 1 lemon
A loaf tin - lined with buttered greaseproof paper
1) Put the oven on at 180 degree C.
2) Beat the butter and sugar together until soft.
3) Add the lightly beaten egg a little at a time. If the mixture starts to curdle add a little of the flour.
4) Once all the egg is mixed in, fold the self raising flour, lemon zest and baking powder into the mixture.
5) If the mixture looks a little stiff add 1 or 2 tablespoons of milk until it is a soft dropping consistency.
6) Spoon the mixture into a loaf tin and level out.
7) Bake for 40 minutes until the cake looks golden and it springs back when touched lightly in the middle.
8) While it is cooling, juice the lemon and mix with the 4oz of sugar. If you prefer a crunchier texture use granulated sugar.
9) If you have a skewer prick the top of the cake a few times (this is optional but will help the the sugar mixture penetrate the cake) Pour the sugar mixture over the cake and leave until cold.
Eat and enjoy!